In the world of off-roading, where capability, durability, and performance intersect, Chevrolet has unveiled its latest marvel – the 2024 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Bison. Teaming up with American Expedition Vehicles (AEV), they’ve unleashed a beast meant to dominate any landscape it encounters. Here’s an in-depth look at what makes the Bison truly exceptional.
Table of Contents
A Fusion of Chevrolet and AEV Expertise
The 2024 Colorado ZR2 Bison is not just another addition to Chevy’s lineup; it’s a testament to the power of collaboration. Crafted in alliance with AEV, renowned for their high-caliber off-road modifications, the Bison is infused with a suite of off-road enhancements. It’s this meticulous engineering that positions the Bison as America’s most off-road-capable midsize truck.
Before making its grand debut, the Bison was tested rigorously in real-world settings. None other than the champion off-road racer, Chad Hall, put this beast to the test in competitive conditions. Its mettle was further proven on the legendary Rubicon Trail, ensuring the Bison can tackle the world’s harshest terrains.
Unparalleled Off-Road Specifications
The Colorado ZR2 Bison is a symphony of best-in-class features:
- Segment-exclusive Multimatic Dampers: Offering enhanced stability and responsiveness, the Jounce Control Dampers are meticulously engineered for off-road supremacy.
- AEV Armor: Equipped with a heavy-duty winch-capable front bumper, rear bumper, fender flares, and 17-inch beadlock-capable wheels. Add in the segment-exclusive 35-inch OD Mud/Terrain tires, and you have a truck that fears no obstacle.
- Impenetrable Underbody Protection: Boron steel skid plates and rocker protectors bestow upon the Bison the title of having the best-in-class underbody shield.
- Angles Meant for Adventure: With a 38.2-degree approach angle, 26-degree departure angle, and a 26.9-degree breakover angle, challenging terrains are merely playgrounds for the Bison.
- Powertrain & Chassis: Housing a standard 2.7L Turbo High-Output engine, power-locking differentials, the revered Multimatic DSSV dampers, and the ZR2 chassis, the Bison promises unparalleled performance.
Beauty with Brawn
The Bison is not just about rugged performance. It’s a style icon as well:
- Elevated Stature: Boasting a best-in-class ground clearance of 12.2 inches.
- Distinct Aesthetics: Features like the racing-inspired spare tire carrier, “Flowtie” front badge, and the Bison exterior insignia make it stand out.
- Luxurious Interiors: AEV badges elegantly grace the front headrests, while all-weather floor liners accentuate the cabin’s elegance.
Engine & Transmission
Powering the Bison is a robust 2.7L Turbo DOHC I-4 engine, churning out 310 HP, paired with an 8-speed automatic transmission. The combination of 4WD and a 2-speed transfer case ensures power meets precision, even on the most challenging trails.
Infotainment, Connectivity & Safety
On the tech front, the Bison impresses with an 11.3-inch diagonal color touchscreen infotainment system, enriched with Google’s prowess. Wireless Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ compatibility ensure seamless connectivity, while Wi-Fi® Hotspot capability keeps you online even in the wild.
Chevy doesn’t compromise on safety. The standard Chevy Safety Assist includes a range of advanced features like Automatic Emergency Braking, Front Pedestrian Braking, and Lane Keep Assist, among others. For those seeking an added convenience layer, the Bison also offers Adaptive Cruise Control.
A Look Back: The Evolution of the Chevrolet Colorado
The Chevrolet Colorado, since its inception, has always been an embodiment of versatility, capability, and innovation. After delving into the exciting features of the 2024 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Bison, it’s worth taking a moment to appreciate the lineage from which this marvel has emerged. Here’s a brief journey through the history of the Chevrolet Colorado.
The Humble Beginnings: 2004 – 2012
Launched in 2004, the Chevrolet Colorado was introduced to replace the Chevrolet S-10, a compact pickup truck. The first generation Colorado, built upon the GMT355 platform, was Chevy’s answer to the increasing demand for a more modern, fuel-efficient, yet powerful mid-sized pickup truck.
Designed in collaboration with Isuzu, this generation was offered in a variety of configurations, including regular cab, extended cab, and crew cab variants. Engine options ranged from a 2.8L inline-four to a beefier 5.3L V8 in its later years.
While the Colorado was primarily designed for the North American market, it found favor in several international markets as well, sometimes under different nameplates.
Redefining Excellence: 2012 – 2020
The second generation, unveiled in 2012, marked a significant evolution. Built on the GMT700 platform, it was not just an upgrade but a complete overhaul. With a bolder design, improved safety features, and enhanced performance metrics, Colorado began to set benchmarks in the mid-size pickup segment.
This generation introduced the world to the Colorado ZR2 in 2017, a performance-oriented variant boasting an array of off-road features. It was a clear indication of Chevrolet’s intent to cater to off-road enthusiasts, paving the way for future off-road marvels like the Bison.
Modern Marvel: 2021 Onwards
The third and current generation Colorado, which began in 2021, represents Chevrolet’s ambition and technological prowess. With a more aggressive design, refined interiors, and advanced technological integrations, the Colorado continues to redefine mid-sized truck expectations.
The introduction of variants like the ZR2 Bison underscores Chevrolet’s commitment to blending off-road prowess with everyday usability.
In Retrospect the Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Bison
From its early days as a reliable mid-size truck to its current status as an off-road behemoth, the Chevrolet Colorado has continually evolved, adapting to the times and setting industry standards. The 2024 Colorado ZR2 Bison is not just a product but a culmination of decades of innovation, passion, and engineering excellence.
As Chevrolet pens yet another chapter with the Bison, the legacy of the Colorado only grows richer.
The 2024 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Bison is where innovation meets raw power. Designed for off-road enthusiasts who demand the best, the Bison is a testament to Chevrolet’s commitment to quality, performance, and style. Whether it’s the Rubicon Trail or your local trail, with the Bison, every journey becomes an adventure.