A return to roots for the world’s beloved off-roader: the new Toyota Land Cruiser. Toyota Motor Corporation has pulled the covers off its latest marvel—the Land Cruiser “250” Series. This unveiling is set to be followed by a launch in Japan planned for the first half of 2024.
Recently, the automotive giant also announced the revival of the heavy-duty Land Cruiser “70” as a regular model in Japan this winter, thereby bringing all three series of the iconic SUV back to the Japanese market.
Table of Contents
A Legacy 72 Years in the Making
Born originally as the Toyota BJ on August 1, 1951, the Land Cruiser series has been a reliable companion for 72 years. Not long after its launch, it made history by being the first vehicle to climb to the sixth station of Mount Fuji. Today, it continues to support the lives and livelihoods of people in approximately 170 countries, boasting about 11.3 million units sold worldwide.
The 250 Series: A Tribute to the Land Cruiser’s Essence
President Akio Toyoda, with the ultimate responsibility for product development, insisted that the Land Cruiser should support people’s lives and communities. The 250 Series embodies his vision.
With the aim of creating a Land Cruiser that is practical and lifestyle-oriented, the development team created a rugged, reliable, and straightforward vehicle, aspiring to meet the practical needs and lifestyle choices of customers.
Modern Capabilities, Classic Soul
The new 250 Series retains its roots but is built on the GA-F platform shared with the 300 Series. The highlights include:
Enhanced Off-road Performance
- A 50% increase in frame rigidity and a 30% increase in overall rigidity
- Improved basic suspension performance
- Enhanced wheel articulation, reflecting a commitment to robust off-road performance
Innovative Systems for Driving Performance
- Electric Power Steering (EPS): Aids in off-road control, low-speed maneuverability, and enables Lane Tracing Assist
- Stabilizer Disconnect Mechanism (SDM): A Toyota-first that allows drivers to switch the front stabilizer state for enhanced off-road and on-road performance
Advanced Off-road Driving Support
- Enhanced functionality of the Multi-Terrain Monitor and Multi-Terrain Select
A Commitment to Environmental Responsibility
Echoing Toyota’s broader carbon neutrality initiatives, the 250 Series offers various powertrain options, including the first-ever hybrid system for a Land Cruiser. This ensures powerful performance while embracing environmental consciousness.
A New Era of Interior Design For the Toyota Land Cruiser
The 250 Series innovates while nodding to the past. The interior has shifted from a high-end luxury ambiance to a more rugged, practical, and functional aesthetic:
- Superior Visibility: With a low-set cowl and instrument panel top surface, this design aids forward visibility, essential for safe on- and off-road driving.
- Ergonomic Layout: The low beltline improves visibility of road surfaces even on rough terrains, and the horizontal instrument panel and clear, easy-to-operate switches ensure ease of use in a variety of driving conditions.
- Customizable Features: Keeping the adventurous spirit of drivers in mind, the design takes customization into account, allowing Land Cruiser enthusiasts to tailor their vehicles to their tastes and needs.
Powering the Legacy: The Engine of the 70 Series
As the 70 Series makes its celebrated return to Japan, it does so with evolutionary changes under the hood. The new 70 Series is equipped with:
- 2.8-liter 1GD Turbo Diesel Engine: Known for its outstanding reliability, this engine is designed to deliver the rugged off-road performance that Land Cruiser enthusiasts crave. It is a high-torque, high-output diesel engine, giving the Land Cruiser the grunt it needs to conquer the most challenging terrains.
- 6-Speed Automatic Transmission: This modern transmission is tuned to deliver strong driving performance and excellent fuel economy, marrying the best of both worlds.
- Quiet and Efficient: Despite its tough nature, the new 2.8-liter diesel engine is engineered for a low-noise, quiet ride, and it achieves improved fuel economy, reflecting Toyota’s commitment to environmental sustainability.
With over 70 years of heritage, the new 250 Series marks an exciting chapter in the Land Cruiser’s story. It’s clear that Toyota, under the guidance of President Akio Toyoda, has listened to the global community of Land Cruiser enthusiasts.
The 250 Series is a testament to Toyota’s dedication to its customers, an unwavering commitment to creating vehicles that are reliable, durable, and designed for everyone, everywhere.
It’s not just a vehicle; it’s a Land Cruiser—built to take people anywhere and everywhere and, most importantly, to bring them back safely.
As the world awaits its launch in 2024, one message is clear: the Land Cruiser, a symbol of resilience and dependability, continues to evolve while staying true to its roots.
Note: The specifications and features of the Land Cruiser 250 Series and 70 Series are based on official information from Toyota Motor Corporation.